The Governing Council at Blackwood High School provides an opportunity for parents/caregivers and community members to work with the school Principal to help set and monitor the direction of a school. The Council represents the whole school community and its membership includes parents/caregivers, grandparents, students, staff, local and state government officials and community members.
The Governing Council works with the Principal to:
- involve the local community
- develop and approve local school policies
- set the broad direction and vision of the school
- monitor and review the school’s improvement plan
- be the employing authority of the school’s canteen.
The Annual General Meeting (AGM) is usually held in early March each year and Governing Council meetings are held twice per term.
The Governing Council also has a number of sub-committees which make appropriate recommendations to the Governing Council for approval. These committees are:
- Finance Advisory Group and Facilities Sub-Committee
- Canteen Sub-Committee
- Uniform Sub-Committee
If you would like to be involved in the Governing Council, the subcommittees or require further information, please contact the Principal, Ms Sharon Goldman at (08) 8278 0900
2017 Governing Council Office Bearers
- Ms Helen Keen (Chairperson)
- Ms Jenny Blenkinsop (Deputy Chairperson)
- Mr Bertram Ostendorf (Treasurer)
- Ms Di Edwards (Secretary)
- Terms of Reference – Blackwood High School Governing Council Sub-Committees
- Extract from the Constitution – Functions of the Governing Council
- Department of Education and Child Development – Role of Governing Council
- Parent Body for Public Education – South Australian Association of State School Organisations
Throughout the 2017 school year the members of the Governing Council have met on a regular basis. In constructive meetings with the school management we participated in discussions that spanned a range of issues to do with budgeting, building works, uniform, policies, student free days and canteen.
- Building Works included the renovations of the two classrooms in the main building (formerly known as Year 11 study) and the front lawns of the school. Decisions were also made around the new STEM Centre and the relocation of the Resource Centre and Student Wellbeing Centre.
- There was renewal of the uniform contract, as well as the adding of new uniform items such as the long sleeve polo, school cap and dark green woollen jumper.
- Policies included updating the Mobile Communications and Social Media Policy, the Fundraising Policy, Material and Services Charges and the Bad Debts policy.
- The Governing Council discussed the hire of school facilities and the associated charges.
- Student Free Days were discussed with approval by the Governing Council.
- Continued oversight of the Canteen operations.
I would like to express my thanks to the Principal, Sharon Goldman, the administrative and management team, the teachers, and the parent and student representatives, who gave up their time to be part of the Governing Council. It was great to see that the student representatives were actively involved in our deliberations. I hope that our meetings have made a contribution towards ensuring that Blackwood High School remains an excellent place for learning and friendship.
I wish everyone at Blackwood High School a successful year!
Helen Keen, Chair Governing Council