The Governing Council at Blackwood High School represents the whole school community and its membership includes parent, grandparents, students, staff and local and state government officials.
Collectively, the Council is responsible for the school’s governance matters including planning strategic directions, developing the strategic priorities, reviewing policies, budgeting as well as supporting the school’s initiatives and activities. With the strong support and guidance from the Principal and her Executive and leadership teams, infused with the vibrancy of its members, the Council achieves its responsibilities effectively promoting active community engagement.
Also, there are several advisory groups as sub-committees of the Council, which are:
- Finance Advisory Group & Facilities Sub-Committee
- Canteen Sub-Committee
- Uniform Sub-Committee
These sub-committees make appropriate recommendations to the Governing Council for approval.
The Annual General Meeting (AGM) is usually held in early March each year and the Governing Council meetings are held twice per term.
Please feel free to come along to these meetings and find out how you can become involved.
For further information, please contact the Principal, Ms Marion Coady at 8278 0900
2016 Governing Council Office Bearers
- Ms Helen Keen (Chairperson)
- Ms Jenny Blenkinsop (Deputy Chairperson)
- Mr Bertram Ostendorf (Treasurer)
- Ms Di Edwards (Secretary)
- Terms of Reference – Blackwood High School Governing Council Sub-Committees
- Extract from the Constitution – Functions of the Governing Council
- Department of Education and Child Development – Role of Governing Council
- Parent Body for Public Education – South Australian Association of State School Organisations
As in previous years the Governing Council met a couple of times per term in order to consider the financial and strategic position of Blackwood High School. I would like to thank all those involved in the meetings: the Principal, Marion Coady, the management team, the teachers, and the parent and student representatives who gave up time to be part of the Governing Council.
In 2015, we participated in discussions to do with a variety of issues. The major ones were:
- Funding for the upgrade of the school grounds and for refurbishment initiatives
- Early entry program into Adelaide University
- STEM and music specialisation
- School chaplaincy program
- Statistical analysis of NAPLAN results
- Abuse and Neglect Training
We particularly valued the involvement of the student representatives in our deliberations. Blackwood High School is an excellent place for learning, and it was good to see that the students themselves took an active interest in ensuring the best outcome for everyone. Given their enthusiasm I am very positive about our students’ future.
I wish everyone at Blackwood High School a successful year!
Michael Tlauka, Chair Governing Council