At Blackwood High School we believe that student learning and engagement is enhanced when they feel happy, safe and supported. Staff work in partnership with students, parents/caregivers and community organisations to provide an environment that nurtures students social, emotional and physical wellbeing.
Two Student Wellbeing Leaders, located in the Student Wellbeing Centre, support students by:
- Leading a whole school approach to mental health and wellbeing
- Supporting indigenous students and those in care
- Recognising and promoting diversity
- Offering advice about subjects, careers and future pathways
- Responding to conflict and concerns
- Helping students manage personal issues and relationships with others
- Offering advice and acting as a referral pathway to General Practitioner Services, Psychologists and Community Wellbeing organisations
- Managing and supporting referrals to our In-School Psychology Service
- Overseeing the placement of Flinders University Social Work students who mentor students on site.
PASTORAL CARE PROGRAMS
Our Pastoral Care programs incorporate Wellbeing for Learning programs across all year levels. The topics covered include mental health, cyber safety, responsible digital citizenship and road awareness programs with SAPOL and the South Australian Metropolitan Fire Service. We integrate the mandated Child Protection Curriculum units and utilise learning materials from Headspace, Bullying no Way, Reach Out and Be You.
At Blackwood High School we offer some of our Year 9 students the RAISE mentoring program through terms 2 and 3. This highly successful program allows students to work with community mentors on a structured wellbeing program aimed at developing trusted relationships, resilience building, increasing confidence and the setting and achievement of individual goals. We also participate in the Operation Flinders Program. This program provides up to ten male or female students the opportunity to experience an eight day intensive wilderness therapy program and to discover a great deal about themselves, working as a team and setting long term goals.
STUDENT WELLBEING LEADERSHIP TEAM
All students from Year 8 to 12 are welcome to join the Student Wellbeing Leadership Team. Senior School Prefects take the lead running the student meetings each fortnight. The group recognises that strong social bonds and supportive communities are optimised when students feel safe in a respectful learning environment. The focus of the team is to help young people in the community to feel good and function well. Throughout the year, the team plans and delivers a range of events to promote mental health and wellbeing.
PEER SUPPORT LEADERS
Students in year 11 have the opportunity to train in Peer Leadership. The aim is to work together to plan and deliver relationship-building activities to the Year 8 students that build positive relationships, self-esteem and communication skills and guide and assist in their transition to high school.